Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Birth Classes and Hospital Tour

Most hospitals offer classes to assist parents before the baby arrives. These can be on breast feeding, child birthing, CPR, etc. Ryan and I didn't attend any classes as I had been around babies all my life and didn't feel as if they were necessary. I figured all I needed to know for the actual birth, was how to breathe, and I had that down pat.

Looking back now, I do wish I would have taken a class on breast feeding. I knew it was going to be hard, but I had no idea everything that can go wrong and where to turn for help. Otherwise, I felt prepared for the birth and afterwards. (I'll do another post soon on what I've learned with breast feeding and my experience with both)

If you do not have much experience with babies or are feeling anxious about the birth, then I would definitely take a class! Even if it is information you already know, it can't hurt!

We did however take a tour of the hospital, which I was so glad we did and HIGHLY recommend to other couples getting ready to have a baby. If you're not sure the hospital offers a tour, check out their website or simply call the labor/delivery unit. It was really nice to be able to see where everything would take place. I was able to find out where triage was and where we would go first when arriving on the big day. After triage we were shown an actual delivery room and the nice lady showed us everything from how the bed came apart to where the baby would go immediately after he was born. I felt like there would be enough "unknowns" on the actual day, so being able to become familiar with the hospital was one thing I did not have to worry about. I remember her even walking pass the O.R. and saying "and here is where you will go if you have a c-section." I also remember clearly looking at Ryan and saying "we don't have to worry about that!" haha. How wrong was I!

She was able to answer any questions I had such as: how many people could be in the delivery room, was there an age restriction on visitors, would I get a private room, did they allow video cameras in the delivery room, etc.

So, if you are going to deliver your sweet bundle of joy at a hospital, make sure you take a tour first! That way when you go into labor you won't have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out which direction you go once you're off the elevators.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! Jennifer Petaja (my sis in law) recommended I check out your blog. I'm 15 weeks with our first...so LOVE the advice you're sharing!! I have lots of bloggy and real-life friends that are pregnant...can't wait to share your blog with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cait! I'm so glad you are enjoying the blog! I'm trying to cover all the important topics and questions I had when I was first pregnant. Thanks for sharing with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I took every class offered possible with our first and although 50% of the info you already know I was surprised what questions it brought up between the two of us. It definitely helps talk about expectations that each person might have about the big day! He even went to the breastfeeding class so he could help me too! haha! Plus with pregnancy brain I am lucky to remember any of it! Now with our second we have chosen a refresher course on breastfeeding, a natural childbirth class, and a siblings class with a tour for our 3yr old daughter.

    ReplyDelete