Monday, May 23, 2011

Labor Coach

After my experience with Eli, I started to think how nice it would have been to have someone in the room that was really on my side, supporting my wishes and helping me get through things. Don't get me wrong, my husband was wonderful and supported me 100%, but at times he didn't understand what I was going through. I think it makes a difference if you have someone who has actually been through the experience themselves. Ryan is my best friend and did anything I asked during the labor and delivery of both my boys. He never sat down the whole time.  He held my hand, talked to me through the long hours and encouraged me when I just wanted to give up. Through the recovery and even when I went through the colon issues after Eli, he was the one taking care of me. I never once had to ask him twice to do something for me. He is the type of man who will sacrifice everything for someone else, even if he just met you.

When Miles was born, Ryan wasn't feeling at his best. He was getting a sinus infection and you could tell by looking at him that he didn't feel good. His sister, Allison, who is also an amazing care giver, was at the hospital as well. She works at a hospital now and has always had an interest in nursing since I've known her (which has been since I was 5). She also has an interest in midwifery, which was a huge benefit for me!

My contractions with Miles were very intense. I had an epidural, but didn't want too high of a dosage as I was afraid I would be too numb to push. They were coming so fast and hard that I was starting to get upset. Ryan was holding my hand and telling me to breathe, but Allison grabbed my hand and started to breathe along with me, and just kept talking to me. She was AMAZING! I can't remember at this point everything she was saying to me, but I do remember at one point, feeling so focused that it almost felt like an out-of-body experience. For the remainder of the day, she was on one side of me and Ryan was on the other. Allie counted for me, breathed with me, talked to me, in a way that Ryan wasn't able to. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have gotten through Miles' birth without her by my side.

If you are lucky enough to have short births, then I could see where you might not need a doula or extra support person. If I had been able to push the boys out in just a few pushes, instead of 3 hours later, then I don't think I would have lost focus. But, if you have a longer labor and delivery, having that trained individual by your side makes all the difference in the world.

So, even if your husband is a sweetheart like mine, I would still recommend having an additional support by your side. It can make all the difference!

When I give birth to child #3, you better believe that Allie will be right by my side again!

1 comment:

  1. that is the sweet thing you could have ever said! I am crying so hard in appreciation of such nice words! THANK YOU! It was a wonderful experience for me and I was more than glad to to help!

    ReplyDelete